Ask questions about the class and get them posted here, along with answers. If you know the answer to a question post that too.
- Can I use the 6th edition of the book instead of the current 7th edition?
- Both books will work for the most part, so if you are totally strapped for cash you can probably get a good deal on the old one. On the other hand, I think there are some important improvements in the 7th, and the quizzes will be based on the 7th edition version.
- Should I bring my laptop to class?
- Yes. Most classes will have an interactive component that uses google docs or other resources in class.
- Will I get in trouble if I don't bring my laptop?
- No-- typically enough students will have them that we can work in groups with one laptop per group when we need to.
- Can I pass this class without attending it?
- See Gandolf: http://i.imgur.com/iGbpb.jpg
New questions from 2011:
- Is the book on reserve at the library?
- Yes! At the reserve desk ask for 351, Welser, and get the 6th edition of the book for 2 hours loan.
- My name is going in circles on google scholar search, what should I do?
- Break the cycle by choosing an entry that is not the most cited option, or alternatively, only cite articles (omit books). The point of the exercise is to learn about google scholar and practice finding works that cite works that you are interested in.
- I am having trouble entering the formula in excel to calculate the average. Check out the video explanation, which is now embedded in the blogpost on homework #1.

Is the book available at the library to read?
ReplyDeleteWhen I went to research my last name I ended up going in circles. I got down to my 4th citations and then it started pulling up the same ones as before as the highest...what should I do with that?
ReplyDeleteI am a bit confused on how to make the trend plot for the data. I organized my data by date like we did in class, but I am not sure how to put it into a plot now. Also what do I do with the average code?
ReplyDeleteSee above for answers. . . recently added.
ReplyDeleteted
Where do I get the link from again to paste it into the hw?
ReplyDeleteHaving trouble finding the outline for the essay due in class tomorrow, where can i find it?
ReplyDelete